Here are a few basic rules, most likely you know. But just incase you don’t I wanted to share! When I first got a bike in the city I was absolutely clueless. And a little bit scared! But once I got used to it I rarely every want to take the subway. Especially when the weather has been amazing like it has been today this last weekend, it was like discovering New York City all over again.
1. Be a super careful bicycler! The above illustration is a little comic version of me. Obviously I dont bike around with kittens in my basket, maybe just farmers market finds. But I am super careful, maybe even a bit slow, so I mine as well have kittens in my basket. This illustration describes perfectly how I feel when on the road in a dress and heels with a bunch of cyclist and their professional gear!! I feel a bit ridiculous, but in a good way : ) I would much rather be on the slow side and super alert, which is very important. If you are biking in the city this is not the time to be listening to headphones and talking on your phone.
2. Pretend you are invisible. This goes right a long with being super careful. If you just pretend you are invisible, that’ll do the trick.
3. Be on the alert for flying doors. Yep this happens constantly, or cabs pulling over. So just train yourself to always be on the look out for people getting out of their cars.
4. If you get angry, get off! period. We dont need any more angry cyclist out there!
5. Oh, and please do wear a helmet. Cover your pretty little head. There are not so many good lookin’ helmets out there. But there are a few, check out Public Bikes for some cute ones!
6. Get regular check ups. In the beginning of each season it is a good idea to get your bike fully checked out.
7. Dress the part. I personally prefer biking in heels over flats. Every time I wear flats my shoes always slip. Heels are awesome, because you can just lock them into the pedal. My fave shoes are my Nina Zs. With the wooden heel, it is perfectly fine if it gets a little scuffed. I think its cute that way. I usually wear rompers or dresses. If the dress is a bit short I like to wear American Apparel bike shorts under neath, or these bloomers are super cute too.
Tucker by Gaby Basora is known for her whimsy and adorable prints. This season so many of these little dress gems feel like they are straight out of a 90′s romance comedy. I’m a huge fan of this lil black floral number, I can totally see on Joon from Benny and Joon wearing this. In Joon’s days of abstract painting and making Captain Crunch smoothies. Along with the red dress, I am pretty sure Joon wore something similar as well. Great movie btw if you have not seen it. So many great looks in this collection. Oversized leopard print makes your basic skirt not so ordinary. The little red floral print is definitely on my wish list. Especially in this cool girl bomber jacket, perfect modern twist.
Now that Spring is in full effect, it’s only natural to look at Anna Karina for a style muse. Simple and sophisticated with a dash of youthfulness. Pull out your favorite frilly blouse and knee length skirt with a little pair of flats, for that french flare look. The blue eye shadow and black eyeliner is definitely must-do for the Anna look!